Monday, November 21, 2011

The Thing and the Other Thing.
Also, Wipmadness Check-in Week 4


My MFA workshop professor stands in front of the classroom drawing little squiggles and lines on the whiteboard.

"In every story," he begins and shadows in this nest-looking object with blue marker, "there's the thing." He circles the nest earnestly. "...And the other thing." He draws a second nest in red, circles it too, then adds two stick figures clawing at each other.

Not kidding
He goes on to illustrate conflict and plot with mumbling inchoate interjections, each followed by a connection of some nest or figure with a dotted or solid line.

Needless to say, I'm bemused and amused by his efforts at sharing this esoteric mechanic for deepening stories. For about four years. And now to attempt an interpretation of the above ramblings.

Let's call this "The Missing Other Thing."


Anecdote 1: I quit NaNoWriMo.
My writing group commissioned a book pulled from a place in my life I haven't grown or learned or matured or simply lived enough to write about yet. As I wrote (complete sh**), I found the stories interesting, plot-wise, but lacking any measure of compelling complexity. My NaNo project was lacking the other thing.

Me and my Bestie
Anecdote 2: Scoring dinner and Irish Goodbyes.
My bestie and I traveled last week through LA, Napa, and San Franscico. She's single, I'm not. She was paying for food, I had hotels. She had a plan: Not paying for dinner or cocktails, not once, and finding some schlep or five to buy for us. 

Fun, but left me with an exhaustion migraine and severe ew when I missed my op for the Irish goodbye and got a real Irish goodbye instead (tongue included, which, it turns out, is sexual assault when he grabs your hair the way you'd grab a shirt collar; who knew...). Anyway, point is this scene is full of conversation and innuendo, but as we all know, it makes for boring stories. Why? No other thing.

Anecdote 3: Last anecdote (I promise!!).
I had a text message conversation with a reasonably good friend. The dialogue was full of the general things reasonably good friends might say to one another, but underneath there was this unspoken thing neither of us wanted to dredge up. The other thing.

So, it's easy, right? There's the thing that drives the story, the glamorous trope, the plot or conflict-driven mechanism that makes a story swell, trough, crest and low-tide. Then there's the other thing that makes the story matter. It's what the whole story's about without actually being about it. And I'm not talking theme, here, or subplot. I mean, there's a goal underneath, there's a subtext, and when that subtext resolves (usually coinciding with the plot resolution but not always), the story is over because there's no more subtext, there's no more matter, there's no more other thing.

I believe this other thing is the difference between a story that lingers in your bloodstream a few days or longer and one that barely gives you a buzz.


***

Oy, Wipmadness friends!

I did join you this weekend after the hangovers and exhaustion migraines. I resumed editing the WIP and am still set for finishing by the end of November. Steady, if slow, progress. My food diary went out the window. I believe there were cookies at some point. And wine. And clam chowder. And Ghirardelli sundaes...

Please pipe up if you have any insight into this thing and other thing business. And tell us how the WIPs are working. How are your goals? Those of you braving NaNo, are you beating yourselves silly? It's been kind of quiet on the hash tag front lately...

14 comments:

  1. I think the "thing" you're referring to is Chief Motivating Force - that reason behind all of your protagonist's action - this being different yet from internal and external conflict. In the case of my just flown WIP - my protagonist's CMF is to be worthy in her Papa's eyes - and that worthiness is based on her own 13 year old vision of what that will take.

    Sounds like you had the younger, female version of the Sideways trip. The only part that sounds good to me is the wine and food - I'm way too annoyed by random people to put in that kind of work to get fed. LOL!

    Drum roll - today my manuscript is being delivered to 6 editors for its first submission round.

    My goal for the rest of the month? Read, relax, and make merry. I am officially taking a little break from writing to attend to the rest of my life. Just in time for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, things! I love drawings that resemble Venn diagrams.

    Congrats, Jaye on your ms delivery!

    I am still plodding through edits...and plod I did this past week. I couldn't seem to get past this one scene, but I woke up this morning with THE idea to work it all out. Of course, I have to go to the day job, but hopefully my hastily scribbled notes will make sense to me later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Chief Motivating Force." I like it. Do you perhaps have a blog link on the subject? I'd love to read your more in-depth take.

    Yeah, it was sort of a train wreck of a vacation, but OH, the food and wine...!

    Congrats on this MS being officially on sub, Jaye! I know you've been getting that a lot. I think it's high time for a relaxing break. Enjoy. ((( )))

    Jennifer,
    Don't you just adore that? When you've been struggling and sweating and suddenly you know the answer?? I'm sending you wishes for a quick and brainless work day so you can spend all your energies on the WIP :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who wants to kick me in the butt? I need a Chief Motivating Force of my own. What I want is to finish drafting this last novel before I commence revising the others that have been taking a rest for over a year. My goal is to have this one done by the end of the year so that 2012 can be the year of revision.

    I know I can do this, but lately I've had a horrible time forcing myself to finish this novel. What's up with that?

    JRo, I'm hoping for swift and happy news for you.

    Jennifer--Hope those ideas keep flowing.

    Lora--Happy to hear you had the wisdom to abandon the sinking ship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been batting around that thing too. I think for my MC it's a realization that she actually can control the universe...well, her own, anyway. That she is more than her talent in sum. That she won't settle for letting it lead the way. It will all make sense soon...so buy the book! please... ;-)

    My WIP had to battle two kids with pneumonia and a husband out of town last week and all weekend, so she suffering a bit. But I'm determined to kick some butt this week. I'll start with yours, Angelina! ;-)

    YAY, JRo! Hope good news comes soon!

    Jennifer, I hope the day job doesn't swallow THE idea before you get a chance to get it down.

    So, here's to our collective Chief Motivating Force, gals! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely GREAT post! The Other Thing! I'm reading agent/writer Donald Maass's "The Fire in Fiction" and he talks about that Other Thing, as well. The Goal. Perfect topic. And you did it well. People could learn a lot from you!

    Also, thank you so much for your comment on my last post asking for advice. I've ordered The Poisonwood Bible and look forward to reading it and understanding its mechanics. Thanks and have a happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes, the Other Thing, Goal, Chief Motivating Force. I'd love a whole longer discussion on this. With diagrams! (loved the diagram, Lora!)

    Congrats, JRo, on getting out on sub! Hope you have good news to share soon. :-)

    I was thinking of Sideways with your trip too, Lora. Hope it was as fun and interesting as it sounds!

    I am pretty much finished with my sidetracking week, wherein I ignored my FauxNaNo plans and did something that closely resembled revision. But I HAD to, and I'm so glad I did. I ended up with over 3K new words for the week as well as doing a badly needed cleanup of the ms, so now I feel like I can continue with my original plan. So I'm back to drafting this week, but it certainly feels more doable now that the whole project has been tidied up.

    Hope everyone else has a great week!!

    Kip

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard it said, repeatedly (OK, it was a hot topic at Magical Words) that the main character has to *want* something. That has to be the driving force, and without it, what's the story really about?

    As for me? Well, I'm ahead on NaNo, behind on my edits. OK, going to go work on the edits now. I've given up writing what I eat down because It's fracking NaNo and my diet hasn't been great, but I've reawakened to the need for exercise, to help me sleep better. Reading will be put off for the rest of the month. *nods*

    Hope you can salvage your stories, even if it's not for NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good anecdotes! And I was very amused by the Irish tongue story, despite its lack of 'the thing' :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I got the final word count as of today, so I’ve finished the first draft of the work for Avon’s open call. Clocked in at 23,393 words. Starting Tuesday, I print it out and the hard part begins—first round revisions.

    And the other day, I got word back from Ellora’s Cave that my novel is being sent up the chain from the initial reviewer to an acquiring editor for review. Hopefully, it’ll be good news. However, I am a little nervous because I realized a couple days later that I forgot one of the things they wanted me to send. Query letter, check. Synopsis, check. First three chapters, check. Last chapter...last chapter...Bueller...Bueller... ARGH! So, I’m praying they don’t hold the lapse in cognitive function against me. Can’t believe I forgot! Been kicking myself ever since.

    Other than that, same ol’ stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angelina, Hope you got a lot done tonight. I'm pretty sure you'll meet your year-end goal, but just in case, we'll be here to kick you in the butt :)

    Mary Ann - Sounds like your WIP's MC comes into her own. I love books like that. This feels like a good week already. I'm looking forward to seeing you pound out that WIP now all the kids are well and the hubs is back.

    Nancy, Ooo, good book! 'The Fire in Fiction.' On my TBR pile. Careful with The PB. It's not light reading, alas, but if you're just looking for mechanic, reading the opening few chapts will clue you in. Kingsolver's a pro. Hope you enjoy!

    Kip, I totally respect your choice to go back and smooth out. As a failed NaNoer, I can't imagine plowing through with strings loose and flapping around behind me. Good for you! Hope you make some serious headway this week with the road paved out a bit.

    And y'all are so right! Sideways, it was.

    Laura... and it's freaking Thanksgiving too! Oh, wait. You're in Canada and already had yours... Well, no worries, exercise and writing are way more important :) Good luck with edits this week.

    Alexia, I was not amused by the Irish tongue story :< lol. Well, maybe a little. Thanks for stopping by.

    Daniel, Acquiring Ed, sweet! I don't think they'll hold lapses against you. It's not good manners, in general, and bad for business. Congrats, and we'll be hoping for the best. Luck with diving into edits in the meantime, and good job coughing up that HUGE number of words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So exciting that you're taking a workshop! I had no idea! TAKE ME WITH YOU! LOL

    About the "thing" on your NaNo project, well, at least you have a project! haha. I wanted to do NaNo this year, but my brain didn't give me any shiny new idea until after the second week of Nov!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lora, I'll ew with you:) too bad you couldn't just sock him in the face after the hair grab. Grrr

    As for my progress, I finished my first draft edit and am now editing through for grammar and can I tell you how badly I suck at this part.

    Happy thanksgiving everyone, and good luck with your projects this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monica, but that sounds to me like you do have a new shiny idea, which is AWESOME. Seriously, I'm kind of sweating right now, trying to figure out what to write next, praying for the muse.

    Deana, I fantasize about socking him. I do. Would that I could've channeled Katniss at that moment....
    Great work on the WIP, and I feel for you--the grammar comb thru can be tedious. Necessary tedious. But so pretty afterward!

    ReplyDelete