Sunday, June 24, 2012

When is WHY where it's at?

Short answer? Always.

This is a writing post about Character Motivation.

If you prefer not to wend with me along the writing way, jump here. You'll find:
A) a cute picture of baby ducks clustered around a momma duck. I phone-snapped them on a day-trip to San Diego with my poet friend, @ColleenRunyan, who blogs poetry. Must-read, take-your-breath-away poetry.
B) a picture of my, er, lower trunk region sporting the vibrant hues apropos to a cautionary tale about wearing sunscreen if you value your skin!

Back to Character Motivation.


I'm currently editing a literary adult book I wrote for MFA on sex abuse.

One of my crit group members is "right there with ya, sista"; she's walked that oogie road herself. Another woman comes to the table full of sympathy and ideas, but she doesn't quite see eye-to-eye. A third crit partner has no idea what my main character is doing. Or rather, more importantly, why.

So my critiqued pages look like this. Chock-full of why's.


WHY????

This is my crit partner's pervading, ubiquitous question.

Why does 17-year-old Seta drive an hour from school to find a "home away from home"? Why, when she gets there, does she don a new persona, calling herself Sarah? Why does she sit in the Children's section of the bookstore, on a goddamn beanbag of all places!? And why oh why is she trying to seduce this 30-year-old man who looks so much like her biological father?

I've been receiving this sort of feedback for the last 50 pages, while the other gals are gushing.

Ping!

It smacks me upside the head: This reader doesn't share my associations. I'm a fish trying to describe water to a land mammal. It's innate to me, but she can't understand. These reptilian brain responses are foreign to her, untappable, on the page as they are. I need to tell a little more, not show. I need to "out" my Undercover Oogie. I gotta throw her a frickin' bone.

The problem is, I don't always know why. I just know that Seta has to do what she's doing.

So. Time to roll up my sleeves, snap on the latex gloves, and dig deep.

WHY is where it's at. WHY is the part of character that makes a story relatable. And really, how can you root for a character -- especially a CrAzY(!) character -- if you can't fathom the haphazard way she's bobbing about in the world?

I know now what my story needs: a First Round of Edits that strictly answers the question WHY. Every thought, every blush, finger-tap, shiver, every mote of dialogue, every tongue-cluck, lip-lick, sniff, snort, silence -- every action in this book needs scrutiny.

Why? Because this is a book about childhood sex abuse and a transient lifestyle, both of which have formative qualities on behavior

Perhaps the degree of scrutiny applied to character motivation is directly proportional to the degree of trauma being explored.


Perhaps not.

But I wonder, nonetheless.

With Love and Respect,
Lora

P.S. Enjoyed this post?
Consider reading @mooderino's thoughts on character:
"Writing Great Characters"
"What Makes Your Character Think That'll Work?"

~~~

<3   San Diego Getaway!  <3

First, the momma. And as we were starin' all enamored from our
hotel window, out toddled Baby 1, then Baby 2, etc, until there were
seven waddlers. And just after I snapped this pic,
the eighth came blundering beak-first into the convocation.

The 1st and 2nd day, I was popping 600 mg of Ibuprofen
every 4 hours, no joke. You'd think a person would learn...


6 comments:

  1. Very good point. Most people don't care enough about strangers to patiently follow their adventures for no reason, readers are no different.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    @mooderino
    The Funnily Enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have a high regard on you and your writing abilities, I find it hard to imagine finding an appropriate critique for you. Too many views and interventions might alter your words to the extent where you won't be able to find yourself anymore in that particular work. Which would be a shame really...:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes what we think is so clear. So on the surface. Isn't there for the reader, at all. I agree with unikorna that it's important to know which thoughts are valid, but it's also important not to discount the why's. You'll find it.

    P.S. - That is one hot piece of ....... (sorry, couldn't resist :0))

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I think my suggestion for understanding Seta's motivations might still be a calling for more of those universal Truth statements with which I'm obsessed :P

    But I'll let you know more later, after I do some reading...

    <3 you. Thanks for the shout-out here, love! You are a gem, through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is often the question I get from my own CPs, and it's that question that pulls the best writing out of me. Perhaps we should write out first drafts with why in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was an awesome post! I was with you though, even without having read your book I could already come up with some theories on why she would do such things just based on the premise but you bring up an excellent point. There are going to be lots of times when our readers do not share the same associations! We do need to spell it out sometimes.

    ReplyDelete