Saturday, April 14, 2012

The 7-7-7 Challenge


The other day I went hiking deep into the flowering Tucson desert with a stranger.

Met @lroseriver in 3D yesterday for 1st time. Hike in Sabino ... on Twitpic
By @CrytzerFry in Tucson 
Although, I'm not sure stranger is the right word. Just because I'd never met the person ... in person ... never seen her face ... doesn't make her a stranger. In today's increasingly unbound culture of connecting virtually with other human beings on this increasingly shrinking planet, I wonder how important "face-time" really is.

I hiked into Seven Falls with Melissa Crytzer Fry, a fabulously creative writer of literary fiction, and a fun hiking companion. She tweets here.

This morning she tagged me.

The 7-7-7- Challenge:
Flip to page 77 of your current WIP.
Find line 7.
Post the 7 sentences that follow.
Tag 7 more writers.

Alas, I'm on page 68 of my novel-length WIP. Thus I'm going to bend the rules a little.

Page 7, line 7, and the 7 sentences that follow:
My WIP is gothic literary YA with a touch of urban fantasy.

Woman Diving into Water, 1867-1870 by Paul Cézanne
Woman Diving into Water, 1867-1870 by Paul Cézanne - Artilim


I touch the spider-cracked glass. You tried to get out.
There’s a knife embedded, hilt-deep in the seat, speared between two bony fingers. Oh, Aaron . . . They say, when you’re possessed, that you know what you’re doing, all of it, and that you remember.
I can’t mourn for him. I did my job. He’s been stranded in the Limen, trapped by his hunger for the life taken from him. Now, he’s free.
The skin-crawl of knowing touches the place between my shoulder blades.


And you're next! My 7-7-7 authors are:
1. Krista Van Dolzer
2. LisaAnn Chickos
3. Kara Lucas
4. Amber Plante
5. Jaye Robin Brown
6. Pat Esden
7. Juliana Brandt

I'd love to read what you're working on! But if you don't feel like participating, please don't fee like you have to. No worries at all, okay? Regardless, sending great writing vibes your way!

And as Melissa's tagger said: "Let me know when your lines are up because I WANT TO READ YOUR POSTS!"

11 comments:

  1. Thanks Lora, I'll do it tomorrow as that's break day from A-Z.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your snippet sounds really creepy and like something bad just happened!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay! I loved your 7-7-7. I might not have much of an idea of what's happening in it but I between the possession and whatever her job is, I'm super intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! Lora you know I am horrible at doing these kind of these (though I love them) but this one I think I will do! How intriguing! I'll do it tomorrow. And....SO glad to see that you're still working on this WIP....I LOVED it (as you know!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It appears that your nature experience made you return to your blog, I've missed your posts :). Good luck with your 777 challenge :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, love your 7-7-7, Lora! It's creepy and would be something I'd be interesting in reading more about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful snippet. Mine's now up. Thanks for inviting me to play.

    http://patesden.livejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who-ah, that is creepy! I'm intrigued now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great excerpt! Makes me want to read more! And I took my very first drive through your neck of the woods just a few weeks ago. It was like a foreign land with all those cacti. And the landscape changed so often, too. Stunning! And about as different from Seattle as a place could ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. GOOSEBUMPS! Very well done, Lora! That's fabulous. Don't worry about not being up to page 77, just keep going.

    I'm going to ignore that you two can hike together while I'm trapped in cloud country... (mopey face)

    ReplyDelete