Sunday, April 29, 2012

All the Ugly Bits


Photo Courtesy of Dawn Meehan

I'm guilty of it -- bending into the magnified vanity mirror to squeeze out infinitesimal blackheads, swabbing over blotches with layers of foundation, powdering away blemishes blown into relief by such microscopic scrutiny.

Just in case someone sees me.

Just in case someone out there is walking around with magnified mirrors for eyes.

Like poor Mr. H.M. Wogglebug, T.E. (Highly Magnified and Thoroughly Educated professor of L. Frank Baum's creation in The Marvelous Land of Oz). The poor tiny wogglebug got stuck like that. Magnified a hundred times his original size, all his jaunty arrogance forever on display.

~~~

A friend asked me today what I've been reading lately. "Literary fiction," I told her.

Her face scrunched up. "Still the one with the pee baby?" I'd read a passage to her during last week's coffee date -- a most stunning description of a baby covered in her own urine: "a little white sardine still fragrant with briny pee."

I shook my head. "I finished that one. This one's not so magnificently wordified." She gave me a look and I smirked, then grew serious again. "I'm not sure about it yet. Very clever, very smart."

"The style? Like John Green?"

"No, not like him. It's like ... " I pulled the book out and had her read an excerpt. "Do you see? I'm not sure I can like it. It's almost too real."

She handed the book back, nose wrinkled. "It's good but it's sort of mean," she suggested.

"Right? I mean, parts of it are really funny. That bit about tapping out the cigarette ash into her food--"

"Into the rice pilaf."

"Yes, exactly. Not just rice, either, or vegetables. Rice pilaf."

We took simultaneous coffee sips.

"All the specifics," I added. "I think that's what makes it like you said, mean. Maybe even cruel. Fiction looks closely at the world and reflects it back ..."

She was on the same page as me now, nodding. "But this is like putting everything on display. Shining a light on all the ugly bits. It's shocking and so we read on -- and it is real. But too real, and so maybe not really real after all."

"It's a balance, like everything in writing of course," I mused.

We fell into a contemplative silence, and after a minute I started searching on Google Images for a woman's face -- not the glamorized magazine type, but the real self-taken kind -- reflected back too closely in a vanity mirror.

4 comments:

  1. That's why I love my fantasy. Why read real stuff when you live it every day? Give me some magic and sexual tension and I'm good :) Not knocking literary fiction, it's just not my cup of tea most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, why no embedded comments? I wanted to directly agree with Alexia. ;)

    Makes me think of the workshop I just went to, where David Farland talked about reading as a means of escape to a safe place. Maybe being too real makes it less of an escape, and less safe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, no ... I disagree with your commenters. Literary fiction is wonderful ... BUT what is that saying that "life is stranger than fiction?" As you said, it's a balancing act -- making it real enough for readers, but not TOO real, and leaving some things to the reader's imagination while still providing that magnificently wordified prose (love that term).

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't dislike ugly bits in anything, they are a refreshing confirmation that there is also beauty out there.

    ReplyDelete