Monday, January 23, 2012

Beyond On Love


Spoiler alert:
I just finished watching the final season of Angel.
Like two seconds ago.
Probably shouldn't be blogging now.
"Drink alcohol,"
they told me.
"It helps."


I won't offer analysis.
not on the ending,
or on plots that get out of control,
not on Big Bads that are really minions for even Bigger Bads --
and how annoying this is for an invested audience/reader --
not on the killing off of characters
or comic relief,
or on good and evil,
on free will,
fighting the good fight,
on champions and heroes, love and hope,
or whether, indeed,
there is "nothing in this world but grief." 


It had to end this way, didn't it?

I will say, there's something about love. Beyond romance (or bromance), beyond friendship or kinship or duty . . . That's what I'm left thinking about, as I watch them each die in my mind's eye, finishing off the story. How much they loved each other.

Such a sap, I know. Hope I'm not the only one. . . .

But oh how I want this. This kind of love in life. And if not in life, in art. Maybe it's a Joss Whedon thing. I think Firefly might do it too. Buffy sure does. Makes hell worth living in, worth loving in. And those stakes skyrocket, don't they? Makes the fight worth the dying.

It's why I read. Why I watch shows like this.
And you?

5 comments:

  1. This is so spot on. I so easily can be sucked into a story where love defies everything, makes life living even in the worst circumstances.

    So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately. Not seen angel but this has peaked my interest. Loved Buffy though.

    Love is the meaning of life, even in an vampire's life it would seem. Unconditional love is definately something I reach for and something I love to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they all die?? I may have misinterpreted that. I enjoyed Buffy and Angel, but never watched that many episodes of either. I am addicted to Vampire Diaries now, though. And yes, it's that romance and friendship that pulls our emotional strings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a love worth dying for that makes life worth living.

    I have this same theme running all through my own novel, because it hits us humans in the most visceral of ways.

    I've never seen Angel, but I'm interested now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My warning for you guys: Angel's hokey MOST of the time, really annoying for about 2 whole seasons, and pure sublimity the rest. Worth watching? Yes. For that love thing we all agree's pretty important ;)

    @alexia Re: Do they all die?? - Um... sort of no, but not really, but maybe yes?? Is that an answer?

    ReplyDelete